“Is The Husband there?” a friend messaged me last night. I wondered why he messaged me out of the blue and so I asked.
“We can have coffee and wicked Oreos. I learnt the recipe from a friend.” he replied.
Wicked Oreos??? That is the question. I found out this afternoon with friends after devouring bowls of Sardine pasta.
Wicked Oreos are really wicked, especially for those of you who are health conscious. The deep fried Oreo creation was said to have originated in Flaming Wings, a small restaurant along the stretch of Katipunan Avenue in Quezon City, where a lot of university students hang out. But based on the actual recipe, my hunch says that this wicked sweet treat has its roots planted well in the land of all things that can make you obese. Guess the country.
But I must say, though horridly fattening, it is a delectable treat you can enjoy once in a while. Maybe once a year. Haha!
- 20-pieces of Oreos. I personally prefer the Double Stuff or the limited edition 100th birthday Oreos with rainbow sprinkles in the cream stuffing 🙂
- Maya brand Pancake mix. You can find this brand in supermarkets in Dubai.
- 1-snack size carton of milk (estimated 200 ml).
- 2-cups of cooking oil for deep frying
- Ice cream. I personally enjoy it with plain Vanilla.
- Freeze Oreos for two hours before cooking.
- Prepare the batter by beating the egg, milk and pancake mix in a bowl until the mixture has no lumps.
- Pre-heat oil in sauce pan or deep fryer (if you have one) until hot enough. To test the deep frying readiness, add a drop or two of pancake mix to the oil. If the pancake mix puffs up like a balloon, then it is ready. It is important to have the oil hot enough, so that the Oreos don’t soak up the oil.
- While waiting for the oil to heat up, dunk the frozen Oreos into the pancake batter. Leave Oreos in the pancake batter for 3-5 minutes.
- When the oil is ready, dunk the pancake drowned Oreos and cook until golden.
- Remove from the oil and let it cool on a bed of paper towels to drain the excess oil.
- Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream and a hot cup of black coffee 🙂
Don’t these Oreos really sound wicked? Thanks to my friend I for introducing this to me 🙂
Delirious about delicious,