You want to know how to spot a food blogger from a mile away? Here are some giveaway clues, (which I picked up from an insightful Global Village trip earlier with fellow bloggers FooDee, Miss StoveTop and I Live in a Frying Pan with friends Sssourabh and Radhika) to help find these beautiful creatures in your favorite food establishments:
Clue #1: They ask a LOT of questions about the food.
Some typical questions you may overhear:
- “Where / what do we start eating first?” while rubbing hands together in excitement
- “What is this? How about that? Oh, and this? What about that one over there?” even when there are other hungry, impatient waiting people behind them.
- “What are your house specialties / bestsellers?” Sometimes done with a snooty, know-it-all voice.
- “Can I dig in already?”
- “Tishishsogooooooof! Wutishiscold?” Translation: This is so good! What is this called? with food still in mouth while pointing to the plateful of food.
- “What is this made of?”
- “Where is this dish from?”
- “How the eff do they make this sooooo good?” with matching R-rated sounds. Go figure.
- “Do you have a recipe for this?”
- “So what’s your favorite dish so far?”
- “Where are we eating next?”
- “When are we eating again?”
Be warned: the food questions never end. Stay away if you don’t want to listen to endless conversations about food.
Clue #2: Cameras hog over the food FIRST.
As soon as the food hits the table (or your hand if you are eating on the go like we did), BOOM! It’s as if the plate of food sashayed down the red carpet on awards night, flash bulbs popping left and right, upside down and inside out. Food = the stars, while food bloggers = the paparazzi.
At least, we do try our very best to capture ogle and drool-worthy photographs pre-food massacre. But if we are just too hungry, sometimes all we get to capture is the emptied plate. More reason to order another plate, right?
Clue #3: Food bloggers are always willing to share.
Contrary to the perception that food bloggers are utter gluttons, we are very much willing to share our food. We like to share to increase the opportunity get to eat more, covering more food items in the shortest amount of time. Oh okay, that insight made me realize that we still are gluttons through and through. Whoops! I guess you really can’t hide our true colors, eh? At least, we still are willing to share. So there.
Speaking of sharing, FooDee gave me bottles of chai masala (Is this the correct term?!? Please enlighten me.) because I just love chai tea so much. Supah dupah thanks Dee! See???? We, food bloggers, can share!
Clue #4: We’re willing to dive in deep…for the love of food.
We’re willing to dive deep into our pockets for food. And even dive deep into the food establishment’s kitchen…
Or maybe just grab (after asking nicely, of course) some of the food items for a closer look…
I have a final clue, but I want YOU to tell me what it is. Can you try to guess what Clue #5 is with the two photos below?
Unfortunately, I don’t have a prize for the person who gets to guess the clue correctly. But isn’t it fun to know the quirky unique food blogger habits?
Delirious about delicious,
UPDATE (02/09/12): Chirag, fellow Fooderati in Arabia blogger, was able to guess Clue #5 🙂 Food bloggers manage to get “the guy behind the counter (or the waiter) to pose with the food he’s serving” 🙂 Congratulations!
P.S. Visit other blog posts about Global Village:
I Live in a Frying Pan’s What went down at Global Village
Finally, another post of mine on 10 Power Tips for your Global Village trip